So I was on social media earlier and saw the hashtag #WorldMentalHealthAwarenessDay being used repeatedly. I’ve always wanted to know who decides these days and how they pick the dates but regardless, I had a special interest in this one. Give my chosen profession and my passion, I think everyday should be a day when we think about the importance of mental health.
People go to the doctor everyday for such a wide variety of things. Sometimes it’s something huge like open heart surgery or cancer treatments. One time I stapled my finger and I went to the ER because I thought I was going to die. (Ask me about that story later lol). The brain is an organ in the body-some would argue the most important. So why then is there such a stigma when someone has a mental health problem? Why are people so quick to brush off mental health and say those problems are not real? If I feel there is a disconnect somewhere between my mind and body, who has he authority to tell me that problem isn’t important? That makes no sense to Me. So here are a few things I just wanted to put out into the atmosphere. I have a million more thoughts on the topic but for today I hope this helps someone.
- DON’T IGNORE YOUR BRAIN. Eat well, sleep well, thing good thoughts and even when you don’t feel well, speak positivity into your own life.
- When something feels off, acknowledge that immediately. Be aware and be vigilant. Don’t be afraid to do some research or talk to someone.
- It is okay to not be okay. We are all human, and we all struggle. Some just don’t show it like others do.
- Your definition of normal is probably not the same as that of another person. Realize that.
- Just because someone sees a therapist doesn’t make it okay for you to label him/her as “crazy”
- It’s okay to learn about what you don’t understand. Educate before you discriminate.
- Sometimes we just need to listen to each other more. Listen to understand, not to provide a solution. Just be there for each other when a friend says they have a problem.
- It is perfectly OKAY to reach out for help if you feel like you need it. From a friend, from a stranger, a professional, whatever YOU need. Don’t wait until it’s too late
- Know that you are more than whatever you’re struggling with. Don’t let it define you.
So if you’re reading this and you need to hear it, you are not alone. You are beautiful and you are stronger Han you know. Sometimes we don’t know our own strength until it’s all we have. Take care of yourself, take care of your brain and protect your peace. Get rid of anything in your life that is taking away from your well being because it’s not worth it.
It’s taken me years to learn to start taking care of myself and cutting out negative things and people from my life. I do things that make me happy and when I feel anything but happy I’m learning to be vulnerable and talk about that. If you feel like you ever need a listening ear, know that I’m here. I don’t have all the answers by any means but we’ll struggle through it together. So this week love on your brain, talk about mental health and read up on some things you didn’t know. I love you guys and appreciate you for reading. Comments, questions & concerns welcome in the comments as usual!