The time has come ladies and gentlemen. NBA playoffs. I’d like to apologize publicly if you have no interest in basketball. Partially because of the happiness you’re missing in your life, but mostly because of how obnoxious I get during playoffs on basically every social media platform possible. Most people are already aware of this, but if you weren’t, now you are. Don’t come into my mentions or my inbox during the end of a tight game or to trash talk any of my teams because I can’t be held responsible for what I say back.
Anyways. I’m super excited for playoffs. I should’ve posted all my predictions earlier but a friend told me that if I tried to overshadow Easter weekend and the death of Christ with my sports ramblings, the basketball gods would make sure I regretted it…so I held off until now hahaha. Just in case.
So these are less predictions and more so what I want to happen. I also think it’s ridiculous that they’re holding off on awards for regular season until the POST season is over this year. That makes no sense but I included my picks for that too.
Coach of the year: D’Antoni (HOU) cause duh.
- Honorable mention to Scott Brooks (WAS) cause he also did some amazing things with his squad in my opinion
6 Man of the year:Eric Gordon (HOU)
- Honorable mention to my boys from the Lakers, Big Lou Wil (whos now in HOU) / Jordan Clarkson (LAL)
Defensive Player of the Year: Draymond Green (GS)
- I’d love to give it to just about anyone BUT draymond because his antics annoy me but he deserves it. Rudy Gobert is up there also for me.
Rookie of the Year: Dario Saric
- Honorable mention to one of my favorite players to watch on AND off the court- the pride of philly, Joel Embiid. If he can stay healthy, he’s a monster.
Most Improved Player: Giannis (MIL) aka the Greek Freak whose last name I shall not spell out
- Honorable mentions Otto Porter (WAS), Isaiah Thomas (BOS)
Exec of the year: Daryl Morey (HOU)
Most Valuable Player (MVP) rankings
- James Harden
- Kawhi Leonard
- Russell Westbrook
- Lebron James
- John Wall
- That being said I’m not stupid and I’m aware they’ll give it to Russ. I just dont agree. When I look at who was the most valuable asset to his team and who was efficient nightly but also pivotal in creating opportunities for his supporting cast, I think kawhi and James did that and more. Yes I considered team record as well. Russ shot well as an individual. Everyone keeps saying oh he has a trash supporting cast compared to James and this is true but he never gave them the chance to prove you all wrong. Russell’s season was entirely about proving he could survive without KD & i get that but in my head an MVP is championship minded, and a leader of the team. Bron is bron and John Wall was phenomenal.
PLAYOFFS ROUND 1
BOS Celtics/CHI Bulls
- Celtics 4-2
- When I heard isaiahs sister passed I counted the Celtics out but since watching game 1 I take it back because they clawed their way to #1 & the deserve more credit
CLE Cavaliers/IND Pacers
- Cavs 4-1
TOR Raptors/ MIL Bucks
- Bucks 4-1
WAS Wizards/ ATL Hawks
- Wizards 4-1
GS Warriors/ Trail Blazers
- Warriors 4-0
SA Spurs/MEM Grizzlies
- Spurs 4-2
HOU Rockets/OKC Thunder
- Rockets 4-2
LA Clippers/UT Jazz
- Clippers 4-3
The Jazz and the Hawks I think, are capable of upsets but the rest of the series I feel like the top seeds will be safer the Thunder Rockets series is a toss up if Russell’s teammates show up, which obviously I’m hoping they don’t. I’ll be watching that and the Wizards very closely.
Also Honorable mention to Kristaps Porzingis. What a pleasant surprise he was. I absolutely LOVED watching him. It’s unfortunate he’s a Knick and they’re always hard to watch but sheesh- he’s supernatural. An actual unicorn.
That’s all for now. I’ll be watching and tweeting and trash talking. What a time to be alive. I’m sure a million people disagree with my commentary lol feel free to state your team or your favorite player in the comments. Thanks for reading!